Public Dwelings in Rennes
The project is situated in the southwestern part of Rennes, very close to the city center. In a new expanding area. The plan is redacted by the Italian team of planners, Bernardo Secchi and Paola Vigano and by the landscaper Charles Drad. (Gec Ingenerie y Aubepine sarl por las consultas botanicas)
The project arises from an interaction between planners, landscapers, and biologists with the help of the architects in charge of the edification. The project is located in the area called “Habited Forest”. In this area, there are 7 apples that have to be developed. The structure of the project is based on urban typology called “La Agora”.
The project consists of a realization of an “Edificio patio” (Agora). The plan foresees a closed outline marker in the four facades that should be able to waterproof the bottom floor. Its pictured as a collective and private space but at the same time open or connected with the city.
The almost historical element of this space are the existent trees, which the plan forces to be kept.
One of the key points of the project was to be able to keep the Agora typology , required by the plan, managing to propose a building relatively sponged and capable of responding to the necessities of each home by placing a type of balcony, or with the possibility of being used as a “Jardin d’ hiver”.
That way, in the corners, is where the communication nucleus are located, breaking the floor perimeter. These elements which break are in fact, that much in its function as in its appearance, the hinges of the project in that they connect and join.
Around the area of the stairs and lifts which can be found across the continuous vertical court yard, there are the “loggias”, or private terraces, which you can access the homes through.
The interior and exterior of these spaces consist of:
• An exterior skin of perforated corrugated aluminum, fixed in the case that part of the façade belongs to a common space and sliding in the case that it belongs to exterior private spaces (loggias).
• An interior skin in the terraces made out of polycarbonate used also in the panels of the sliding doors.
With this combination its now possible for different configurations and consistent behaviors to take place in these spaces, neuralgic in the typologies proposed: closed to the wind and open to light (green house effect); protected by a light but with the natural ventilation (exterior) type of balcony.
The flexibility of these spaces and the relationship with the community courtyard and an active behavior of the building in function of the exterior climatical situation.
The principle goal of the project is the perfect bioclimatic behavior of the homes that should reduce the demand for energy and ensure a comfortable relation between the environment and the architecture. The main points of the development in this sense are:
1. Improve the attitude of the surrounding of the building to reduce the necessity of heating and to reduce the consumption of the primary non-renewable energy through:
a. The orientation of the building.
b. The use of bioclimatic elements like greenhouses and multilayered facades plus natural ventilation.
c. Maximum usage of the natural light.
d. Surrounding buildings.
e. Thermal inertia.
2. Improve the comfort in summer through the usage of solar protections and the study of the crossed ventilation.
3. Usage of renewable energies using the system of the heat bomb for the ACS and the heating, through a solar pergola situated on deck.
Contributed by picharchitects
Photos © S_Chalmeau