ArchiTravel interviews Iñaki Azkuna, one of the most outstanding mayors in the world, for his transformation of industrial Bilbao into a cultural centre. Interview by : Alexios Vandoros Alexios Vandoros: Every city in the world wants to become a viable city, on a human scale if possible. How would you […]
People: Iñaki AzkunaRelated entries : 1
– Degree in Medicine and Surgery (1966, Salamanca).
– Doctorate ‘cum laude’ (1971, Salamanca).
– “Assistant Etranger’ at Broussais Hospital, University of Paris (1971-1972).
– Specialist in Radiology and Cardiology.
– Professor of Physical Medicine and Radiology at the University of the Basque Country (since 1973).
– Associate Doctor at the Hospital de Cruces since 1973. Subsequently, Head of Department and since 1986, Head of Radiology Unit.
– In 1979, Chair of the Board of Hospitals of the Bizkaia Medical Association.
– In 1981, Director of the Hospital de Cruces.
– In June 1982, Director of Hospitals of the Basque Government.
– From 1983-87, Director General of Osakidetza (Basque Health Service).
– From July 1989 to February 1991, Director-Secretary of the Presidency of the Basque Government.
– From February 1991 to May 1999, Health Minister of the Basque Government.
– From July 1999 to 2014, Mayor of Bilbao.
– President of Eurocities from 22 October 1999 to 27 October 2000.
– President of the International Association Cities and Ports, from 2002 to 2005.
– Awarded the Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Health by the Minister for Health and Consumer Affairs on 31 January 2000.
– Chair of the Board of Directors of the publishing company Iparraguirre S. A, publishers of DEIA (1988-89) and Muga.
Works and Publications
– Over 100 articles and communications in the speciality of Cardiovascular Radiology, in: Journal of the Spanish Society of Radiology; Journal of the Spanish Society of Cardiology; American Heart Journal; Archives des maladies du Coeur, etc.
– Author of the book Radioangiografía de las cardiopatías Congénitas (1988).
– Co-author of Tratado de Cardiología Pediátrica /Salvat, 1983).
– Spanish Society of Cardiology.
– French Society of Cardiology.
– Basque Association of Radiologists, etc.
– Basque Navarra Society of Cardiology.
– Member of ABAO, Bilbao Friends of the Opera Association.
– Member of the Bilbao Philharmonic.
– Friend of the Bilbao Museum of Fine Arts.
– Friend of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. Friend of the Arriaga Theatre.
Note: Iñaki Azkuna passed away on March 20, 2014. He was 71 years old.