Architect(s) : Architectural Bureau G.Natkevicius & Partners
Address : Oro uosto g. 4, KAUNAS, Lithuania
Latitude/Longitude : 54.96716511192369,24.073784457724763
Photographs : G. Česonis
Site Area : 504976 m2
Building Area : 7378 m2
Project Team : G.Natkevičius, J.Skalskytė, M.Mickevičius, G.Čepurna
Text description provided by the architects. Terminal is designed as the first part of the future big terminal. Provides a construcive there is an opportunity to expand the building on both sides, depending on the needs. Aesthetics of the terminal is like a part of a hugde mechanism.
Despite the fact that in terminal acts the customs border control, flight security, police, medical services and commercial, food and financial companies, the function scheme of a building is very simple and clear. The passengers wont experience the additional stress, wich leads in traveling by aircraft.
Inside the neutral ascetic glass, metal, concrete interior, which is adorned with the only bright detail- huge illuminators in departure and arrival halls.
Structure and Materials
- The constructive of a building is sectional monolithic reinforced concrete frame
- Metal truss
- SCHUCO aluminum glass facade system
- SANDWICH tipe mineral wool thermal panels
- PVC roofing PROTON GT
- GKD rustless woven steel net
- VANDERLANDE registration tables and luggage transportation equipment
- SHINDLER elevators and escalators
- PVC heterogeneous floring EXPONA
- EDEN illuminators
- Metal, welded wire mesh suspended ceiling
- Monolith impregnated reinforced concrete decoration in interior
- Gaseous tail heating
- The project was nominated for the competition European Union Prize For Contemporay Architecture in the Mies van der Rohe Award 2009 exhibition.
- Diploma of the exhibition of the Lithuanian Architects’ Union, Kaunas branch – competition Architecture: Kaunas 2008 for the implementation of public project Passenger Terminal of Kaunas airport in Karmėlava, Kaunas region. 2008
- Nomination of Archiforma magazine for Passenger Terminal of Kaunas airport in Karmėlava, Kaunas region. 2008
Contributed by Architectural Bureau G.Natkevicius & Partners